Every Saturday I will endeavor to post a soup recipe in hopes that you will make it over the weekend and have it through the week, when you are just too tired, lazy or fed up to cook. I made this one last night along with a loaf of bread.
If you have or have been around teenage boys you know that when they are not swearing they are eating. So, needless to say, the bread is gone and there is a big dent in the soup, but it was really yummy.
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Stalk Thyme
- 6 Cups Water (or Chicken or Vegetable Broth)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Chef’s Knife
- Large Sauce Pan
- Oven Proof Dish
- Stick Blender
- Roast the Cauliflower in a little olive oil, salt and pepper for about 40 minutes.
- Sauté the onion in a little olive oil in the bottom of the sauce pan.
- Add the rest if the vegetables and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add water, herbs and seasoning and bring to a boil for a good 5 minutes.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the thyme stalk and adjust seasoning.
- Stick blend until velvety smooth.
The stick blender (aka emersion blender) is one of the only gadgets in my kitchen. If you don’t have one go buy one. They are not expensive and are so much safer and easier than pouring hot soup into a blender.
By the way, if you don’t use chicken broth, this is a totally vegan meal.