One of my wife’s favorite meals (i.e. wants it on her birthday, etc) is the grilled vegetable salad. In the winter, this is a challenge. Not all of the vegetables that we like are in season and the rain (or snow) can keep even a well equipped grill maven indoors. The grill pan is the best invention ever. Yes, better than wheels, sliced bread, the internet…well maybe not the internet. I have a double and it is well worth whatever you have to pay to get one.
- 2 Yellow Squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Large Red Onion, Sliced
- 2 Red/Orange/Yellow Peppers, sliced
- 3 Large Portobello Mushrooms, large slices
- 1 Fennel Bulb, sliced
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Grill Pan
- Chef’s Knife
- Salad Bowl
- Lemon Juicer (optional)
- Prep the vegetables. Salt, pepper and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill, starting with the hardest first (fennel, peppers, onions, squash then mushrooms).
- Grill until they are slightly soft, but not mush.
- Let cool.
- In large salad bowl add two large handfuls of Arugula.
- Cut all vegetables into bite sized chunks. I usually do this in large handfuls.
- Salt and Pepper.
- Drizzle with juice of 1/2 large lemon and olive oil to taste.
- Toss with your hands.
If you are not trying to lose weight in front of the entire internet, you can also toss in a bit of blu cheese.