My friend D.J. Olsen sent this comment and I thought that I would share it with you. D.J. is an inventive chef who is serving delicious wine pairings and other great dinners and small plates and the charming Lou Wine Bar in Hollywood (Next to the Laundromat). He’s also a talented orchestrator. Here is his note and recipe. My apologies to Lou.
Thanks, Chris for the mention. But to be clear, I am not the owner of LOU wine Bar. Lou Amdur is that person. Here’s my recipe for brussel sprouts (also on the KCRW website):
Salad of Brussel Sprout, Hazelnut, Apple and Proscuitto
DJ Olsen – chef, LOU Wine Bar, Hollywood CA
2lbs. brussel sprouts, larger sizes
6oz hazelnuts, toasted
6-8 slices proscuitto
2 apples (using Pink Lady, currently)
Vinaigrette (makes more than is needed for recipe; holds for three days)
1/4C sherry vinegar
1/4C champagne vinegar
1 small shallot, chopped
3T Dijon mustard
1/2tsp kosher salt
12oz canola oil
4oz toasted hazelnut oil
fleur de sel, freshly ground pepper (we use Tellicherry black pepper)
1. Using a mandoline set on 1/16”, or with a very sharp knife, shave each brussel sprout from its top to its stem to form a kind of brussel sprout confetti. Reserve, covered, until ready to make the salad.
2. Roll each proscuitto slice, widthwise, into a loose tube. Cut across the tubes, on the bias, at 1/8” intervals to form ribbons of proscuitto. Reserve.
3. Cut 1/8” slices off each apple, avoiding the core. Make apple batons by cutting across each slice at 1/8” intervals. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the apple slices to add flavor and prevent discoloration.
4. Make the vinaigrette:
-combine the two oils in a small pouring pitcher
-place vinegars, shallot, mustard, salt in a blender
-blend at hi-speed for 15 sec., to combine
-with machine running, med-hi speed, pour oils into the blender in a steady stream until emulsified.
-reserve, covered until needed
5. In a mixing bowl, combine brussel sprout shavings, hazelnuts, proscuitto ribbons, apple batons, pinch salt.
6. Drizzle a good amount of the vinaigrette around the sides of the mixing bowl. Using your hand, toss the salad into the vinaigrette until everything is well-coated.
7. Place in individual serving bowls, piling the salad high.
8. Garnish with a few grains fleur de sel, fresh grind black pepper