It will be interesting to go back at the end of the year and see how many Mondays I said that I was in a hurry. Why is it that we are always in a hurry on Mondays? Is it because we take on a slower tempo for the weekends and on Monday morning we wake up and realize that our laid back attitude is not going to fly through the week? Maybe if we speed through Sunday then Monday will seem really easy?
Here is a really easy, quick and simple dish for a crazy Monday. The weather is nice enough in most places to dust off the grill. If you didn’t bother to do that over the weekend then I suggest what I will be doing and use the grill pan. If you don’t have a grill pan you really should consider it. We use ours about once a week. Grilling is a very simple and efficient way to cook.
- 8 Scallops
- 12-16 Large Shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 4 Handfuls of Arugula or other Greens
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- Grill or Grill Pan
- Chef’s Knife
- Wash and pat dry the shrimp and scallops. Scallops are great right now but are always pricey. I like this meal because it gives you and your family the richness of the scallops and the less expensive shrimp stretch it into a meal.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the seafood, squeeze some lemon and lightly salt.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Not too much longer or the acid from the lemon juice will cook them.
- Heat the grill.
- Grill the scallops and shrimp. About 3-5 minutes a side for the scallops and probably less for the shrimp. The shrimp are done when they change color.
- Toss the arugula with a little olive oil and a squeeze of lemon in a bowl. Not too much.
- Place a serving of the greens on the middle of the plate.
- Arrange equal portions of scallops and shrimp on each plate. You can chop them together if you feel so inclined. I like them whole.
- A light drizzle of balsamic vinegar is an optional nice finishing touch.