If you have been following these posts since the beginning you should be starting to understand my cooking method. For the most part, I feel that preparing delicious and nutritious food should be fast and simple. Interestingly, those are the two biggest excuses used for not cooking. The biggest secret to cooking is getting off of the couch.
There is nothing difficult about the actual act of cooking. There are very few techniques to learn and there are no rules. Baking is the only time where the recipe needs to be adhered to strictly. The rest of the time recipes are just guidelines. You will often read in my recipes suggestions of improvising, and cooking times and even temperatures are often approximate. My goal is to give my friends and readers the confidence and simple techniques to make cooking as natural and easy as riding a bicycle.
For instance, there are basically three ways to cook vegetables. You can roast them in the oven, saute them on the stove top or grill them. Then there is the question of what goes on them or with them. Also easy. What do you like? I like garlic so I often make my vegetables with garlic. Some people like spicy food. Add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Some people think that vegetables are a little bitter. Add a little brown sugar or balsamic vinegar. If you know what you like you know how to cook.
It’s spring and the grill is getting washed off and fired up. Here is a dish that goes great with grilled chicken or meat. It’s simple and can be cooked at the same time as the rest of your grilling.
- 5-6 Red or Golden Potatoes
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 3-4 Stems of Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Chef’s Knife
- Aluminum Foil
- Mixing Bowl
- Fire up the grill
- Chop potatoes into small cubes
- finely chop the rosemary and garlic together. If you take the back of your knife and press down on the mixture it will blend them nicely.
- Toss the potatoes with rosemary and garlic mixture, salt and pepper and thoroughly coat with olive oil.
- Make a pouch with the aluminum foil and fill with the potato mixture.
- Cook on a hot grill for 25-30 minutes, turning every few minutes.