The news about yet another diet concept was revealed in the Los Angeles Times this morning. Researchers have released some preliminary findings that not eating at night will help you lose or at least maintain weight. This research was done with lab rats. Is anyone approving this research and the money that it costs? Absurd. One aspect of this is obvious: If you cut out snacking, which is essentially what you do when you stop eating after 7 PM (or whatever their parameter was) which contains higher fat, sugar, salt and generally crap that is not good for you and puts on weight, you will lose or at least maintain weight (if all other factors are in place, a BIG if). The other argument is contained in one word: France. As you read this, the boulevards and villages in France are lined with bistros, restaurants and cafes full of people eating dinner at 11:00 while the sun sets. They are also drinking wine and maybe even having a cognac and some cheese after. And tomorrow, they will not be wallowing to work.
The amount and quality of food that one eats determines weight gain. If you are active and of normal weight you will not gain weight. The key here is quality. By that I mean, fresh, nutritious food – mainly plants – and not too much.
In our house, I have a challenge. We have kids that like the occasional ice cream or chip. The problem is that I like them, too. So I ask, often in vein, for that stuff not to show up. The easiest way avoid it is to not buy it. I don’t always have the will power to simply ignore it. I don’t think anyone does. I do have the will power to not buy it. When I shop, I try not to be hungry and always have some sort of list. I don’t go into the center isles unless I need toilet paper and if I have to buy something in a package I read the ingredients first. That is usually enough to make me put it back and hurry to the check out stand.
It’s Friday and I think it should be just about time for an adult beverage. This is my take on the classic greyhound. We have lots of pink grapefruit right now and this is a perfect summer cocktail.
Makes 2 Cocktails
- 4 Jiggers Pink Grapefruit Juice (usually two grapefruits)
- 3 Jiggers Vodka (I like the organic from Austin)
- 1 Jigger Cointreau
- Squeeze of Lime or Orange
- Cocktail Shaker
- Hand Juicer
- 2 Martini Glasses
- Dampen the martini glasses and stick them in the freezer. Grab the vodka while you’re in there.
- Juice the grapefruits into a bowl, through a strainer.
- Fill the cocktail shaker about 1/3 full with ice.
- Add all liquids.
- Put the vodka back in the freezer and grab the glasses.
- Shake well.
- Pour through strainer (my shaker has one built in) into the frosty martini glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of whichever citrus you just squeezed into the drink. I like orange.