I will make this brief: The amendment to the Farm Bill to NOT reduce the SNAP program was defeated by the Senate yesterday. This means that they have voted TO reduce the amount of money to help low income WORKING families through this tough time. We have elected a bunch of idiots.
For our party I will serve two different salads. The first will be a grilled Caesar which was featured on March 21. The second is a variation of an earlier salad listed here. There are a few changes that make a big difference in taste. The milky sweet taste of leeks adds a whole new dimension.
- 4 Ears of Corn, Grilled
- 1 Leek, cleaned and chopped into half coins
- 1 Handful Shiitake Mushrooms
- 3-4 Large Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Candied Pecans
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Aged Goat Cheese, grated
- Chef’s Knife
- Medium Grater
- Sauté Pan
- Roast the corn on the grill. I usually wrap it in aluminum foil.
- Let corn cool then cut kernels off.
- Clean and cut mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter.
- Add the leeks and sauté until they soften.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add pecans, corn, cayenne, salt and pepper and sauté until warm.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheese.