This morning in the Los Angeles Times was an article about the effectiveness of the ban on trans fats in New York restaurants. This ban was followed by other bans in places like California and the federal government followed suit by requiring labeling of trans fat content. There are studies that show that trans fats can increase the incidence of heart disease and stroke.
The study on the ban showed that, unlike predicted, there was no difference in taste, profitability or cost of these changes. The chain restaurants were loth to make the changes claiming all of the above would occur.
When I hear people talking about how government should not be involved in telling us what to eat or regulating our food supply I think of studies such as this. Businesses cannot be relied upon to self regulate. There is nothing in it for them. We as a people have to collectively take care of ourselves and tell businesses what to do when it comes to our health and well being. That collective self is called the government. We need our government to look out for our good. I don’t have the time or expertise to make sure that cows are slaughtered properly, but I pay taxes so someone can. Remember that the next time you cook a disease free piece of chicken or meat. Also remember it the next time you are about to vote for someone who doesn’t think that is a good idea.
I like to make pizza in the summer. It may because I ate so much of it when I first went to college in the summer or it may be that it is relatively light, easy and quick. As I have discussed before, I think it’s a good idea to keep some pizza skins in the freezer to have on hand when the pizza thing hits you.
- Pizza Skins (See Previous Recipes: Leavened or Unleavened)
- 2 Leeks, cleaned and cut into 1/2 coins
- 1 Roasted Pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 oz Goat Cheese
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Pizza Stone
- Pizza Peel
- Pizza Cutter
- Chef’s Knife
- Saute Pan
- Roast the red pepper in the oven, on the stove or on the grill. Peel and core.
- Slice pepper into thin strips.
- Marinate in olive oil, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes.
- Clean and cut the leeks in half lengthwise.
- Chop into 1/2 coins.
- Sauté leeks in butter and a little olive oil for about 10 minutes until translucent.
- Per Heat oven to 450 with the pizza stone on the center shelf.
- Build pizza by drizzling skin with a little olive oil, layer of peppers arranged in a circle, layer of leeks then topped with crumbled goat cheese, evenly dispersed.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is golden brown.