The best lobster roll that I can remember was from a convenience store somewhere in Maine. My recollection is that they were just sitting on the counter, wrapped in cellophane. I have no idea how old I was or who I was with, but I still remember how amazingly good it was and how totally simple. It was basically fresh lobster on a hot dog bun. I have wanted one ever since.
Here is my attempt at it.
- 2 (1 – 1 1/2 lb.) Fresh Lobsters, steamed or boiled
- 4 Hot Dog Buns (Or better ones if you insist)
- 1/2 Cup Homemade Mayonnaise (see earlier recipe)
- 1 Celery Stalk, finely chopped
- 2 Pieces Good Bacon
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Melted Butter
- Chef’s Knife
- Sauté Pan
- Toaster Oven or Grill or Grill Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Brush for Melted Butter
- Let lobsters cool.
- Remove the sweet meat from the tail, claws, knuckles and legs.
- Roughly chop or pull into bite-size pieces.
- Pan fry bacon until crispy. Let Cool. Chop into little pieces.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add as much mayo as you think is necessary. This is entirely dependent on your taste. If you don’t have the time you can use store bought.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice into the mix, lightly salt and pepper and mix together.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter over low heat.
- Brush buns with melted butter and toast or grill.
- Fill them with the lobster mix and optionally drizzle a little more melted butter over top.
- Serve with a knife, fork and lots of napkins.