My good friend Doreen is on vacation at an undisclosed location and has been sending alliterative missives to tease her friends. She inspired the title.
I am up to my neck in madness today so I will get right to the point. My neighbor Helen (who turned 90 last week) gave me some more summer squash from her garden. As her son would say, she is sloppin’ over with squash. They are so amazingly creamy and wonderful right now that you really can’t go wrong. I like to use this as a substitute for mashed potatoes served under a nice fish or even a piece of chicken.
- 2 Medium Summer Squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Raw Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Ovenproof Dish
- Hand Masher or Stand Mixer
- Chef’s Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Peel and cut the squash into 1 inch cubes.
- Liberally drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the sugar.
- Salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 45 minutes, until they are all nice and soft.
- Remove and transfer to a mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Add butter and a little touch of cream or milk (optional) and smash.
You can puree this if you like, but I like the texture to be a bit chunkier. Feels more like a summer dish even though you had to use the oven.