Yesterday was my birthday and my beautiful and talented wife made a meal for those family gathered in New York for my sister-in-law’s wedding. The meal was to be simple and portable so we could enjoy it on our roof garden. One of our favorite foods in the summer is soft shell crab. They are molting so the shells are soft and edible. As with most summer food we like it when the preparation is quick and easy. This fits the ticket.
- 12 Soft Shell Crabs
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Corn Meal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Lemon or Lime
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Frying Pan
- Shallow Mixing Bowl
- Combine flour. corn meal, cayenne, garlic salt, a twist of salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in the pan.
- Dredge the crabs through the flour mixture.
- When the butter is hot add the crabs. Don’t crowd the pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a serving plate.
- Turn the heat off and add about a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar, just enough to make a thick sauce.
- Scrape the bits and stir.
- Pour over the crabs, squeeze the juice of the lemon or lime and serve.