Our kids bake cookies. 4 boys and 1 girl and they have all been baking cookies for as long as I can remember. When Noah was 7 his mom stopped telling him to not turn the oven on when she was gone and revised the rule to remembering to turn the oven off. There were older brothers and sisters there but Noah was usually on his own in the kitchen, usually taking orders.
I’ve said it before and will say it again, teach your kids to cook. If you don’t teach them anything else, at least they will be able to eat. Start with something they like. Cookies are always good.
- 1 + Stick Butter, room temperature
- 1 Egg, (set it out with the butter)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (I like smooth for these)
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts (I like the red ones with the skins) (optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Mixing Bowls
- Mixing Spoon
- Cookie Sheet
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- Mix together the butter, egg, vanilla, peanut butter and peanuts.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and other dried ingredients.
- Combine the two.
- Butter the cookie sheet.
- Form 1 inch balls of the dough in your hand and place on cookie sheet until it is full. Leave enough room in-between for a little spreading.
- Press fork crossways to flatten each cookie.
- Refrigerate remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Make sure to keep your eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Repeat with remaining dough.