The day that I thought I ran out of ideas I actually ran out of ideas. Not really, because I do keep a reserve, but I like to generally let the wind take me where it may. Today it took me into an empty room and beat me senseless. Then, a miracle occurred. Actually, my neighbor asked me to come over and have a beer. And his mother is my surrogate mother and always is making something in the kitchen that I am ready to steal. She is a gem and thinks of stuff that I would never do.
Golden Delicious apples are nice to eat but a disaster in the kitchen. They do not cook well. When Helen told me that she found a way to cook them, I took immediate note.
- 3 Golden Delicious Apples, cored, peeled and cut in half
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Sheet Puffed Pastry
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (for Whipping)
- Heavy, Ovenproof Pan (Cast iron is perfect)
- Chef’s Knife
- Peel the apples and squeeze a little lemon on them to keep from browning.
- In the pan, melt the butter.
- Add the apples to the pan, flat side down.
- Cover with sugar.
- Flip apples so they are brown on both sides.
- Filp apples back over.
- Cover with puffed pastry and tuck in around the apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at medium heat.
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Finish in the oven at 350 for another 10-15 minutes.
- Whip the cream with a teaspoon of sugar if you like.
- Cover with plate, flipping upside down.
- Garnish with whipped cream.