Our good friend Nancy has been telling me about this recipe all year so finally here it is in all of it’s healthy glory. I thought the cranberries added a little Christmas color to a yummy bowl of breakfast goodness.
- 5 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Maple Agave Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Pura Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamon
- 1 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries (or raisins or other dried fruit of your choosing)
- Large Ovenproof Dish
- Mixing Bowl
- Pre heat oven to 300.
- Mix together the oats, nuts, coconut, salt and spices.
- Add the syrup, oil and vanilla. Combine well. You can use straight maple syrup or a combo of syrup and brown sugar. The agave is very sweet and a lot less expensive than this year’s maple syrup which has shot up in price.
- Spread the mixture into a large, ovenproof container or a couple of cookie sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Stir in dried fruit.
Store in an air tight container and enjoy with milk or yogurt or just by the handful like I do. Make sure that you don’t leave a trail around your house as you scoop up handfuls. That job is reserved for trail mix.